Quick Fact

Surveys consistantly rate librarians as one of the least stressful professions. No job is stress-free, but librarians do have a more pleasant work environment than many other jobs.

Quick Fact

Salaries of librarians with an ALA certified education earn nearly $5,000 more than librarians without certified degrees.

Quick Fact

There are more than 200,000 librarians employed in the USA and approximately 80% of them are women.

Become a Librarian

If you're looking for a job that is highly skilled, in demand and involves giving back to your community, then becoming a librarian just might be the ticket. If you take a look at PublicLibraries.com public records you will find information on librarian positions that is taken from Census data. It shows that the average librarian salary is approximately $58,000 and that the number of librarian positions peaked at over 300,000 in the 1990s. There are now just over 200,000 librarian positions nationwide. Roughly 70% are employed in a public setting and the remaining 30% work at either a private library or at a non-profit. Records show that librarians with a master's degree have substantially higher salaries than those with an undergraduate degree.

While the path to becoming a librarian isn't an easy one, it is rewarding and diverse. Like many other jobs today, the key is education. Getting your bachelor's degree from an accredited institution is the first step towards most careers and it is not any different for librarians.

Your focus as an undergrad is your choice though. Whether your interests are in arts, science, psychology or marketing, the experience you gain will be of value towards your career as a librarian. But, as we said earlier, that is just the first step. It is strongly suggested that potential candidates acquire a master's degree in Library and Information Studies from a reputable institution. Some suggest avoiding library science as an undergraduate major if you're going to major in the library field.

Many of your future employers will be required to only choose from those who have earned their degree from a program approved by the American Library Association. Many positions which are governed by state, county or city boards have very strict standards for education which not all institutions are able to fulfill. In addition, many kindergarten through grade 12 schools will stress including a specialty in school librarianship or teaching, from an approved college or university.

Below is a suggested list of ALA approved colleges and university programs that meet the association's high standards. This list can and will change. For the absolute latest information, be sure to visit the ALA website.

			Alabama, University of
			Albany, State University of New York
			Alberta, University of
			Arizona, University of
			British Columbia, University of
			Buffalo, State University of New York
			California - Los Angeles, University of
			Catholic University of America
			Clarion University of Pennsylvania
			Dalhousie University
			Denver, University of
			Dominican University
			Drexel University
			Emporia State University
			Florida State University
			Hawaii, University of
			Illinois, University of
			Indiana University
			Iowa, University of
			Kent State University
			Kentucky, University of
			Long Island University
			Louisiana State University
			McGill University
			Maryland, University of
			Michigan, University of
			Missouri-Columbia, University of
			Montreal, University of
			North Carolina - Chapel Hill, University of
			North Carolina - Greensboro, University of
			North Carolina Central University
			North Texas, University of
			Oklahoma, University of
			Pittsburgh, University of
			Pratt Institute
			Puerto Rico, University of
			Queens College, City University of New York
			Rhode Island, University of
			Rutgers University
			St. Catherine University
			St. John's University
			San Jose State University
			Simmons College
			South Carolina, University of
			South Florida, University of
			Southern Connecticut State University
			Southern Mississippi, University of
			Syracuse University
			Tennessee, University of
			Texas - Austin, University of
			Texas Woman's University
			Toronto, University of
			Valdosta State University
			Washington, University of
			Wayne State University
			Western Ontario, University of
			Wisconsin - Madison, University of
			Wisconsin - Milwaukee, University of
			

Library Science majors face high unemployment and low wages

According to many news agencies, being a librarian pays less and has more unemployment than high school drop outs. But, we know better than that. Read what they left out and find the real truth. ~read~

University librarians are more than they appear

University librarians show that there is much more to their positions than just sorting books. ~read~

© 2015 BecomeALibrarian.org - Contact Us